Friday, January 06, 2006

Daycare bust & 4 month shots

This morning Calvin arrived for day care, I nursed him and left by 9:15. I teared up on my way out, and called my mom who amazingly had some good parenting advice, soothing me with stories of how she felt when I left for summer camp through the years. I drove to Costco first, and then the bank, and though i was doing simple errands, I was feeling relieved that when in traffic, there wasn't a crying Cal in the back seat (he cries at red lights). On my way to the Gym at 12:30, I recieved a frantic call from Joan saying that Calvin was crying non-stop for an hour and needed me to come rescue him. Apparently he had fussed when i left, then napped for an hour, and after waking up, began to cry. When they took out the bottle to feed him, he shreiked, and continued, and was scaring the other kids. When I arrived I could hear Cal crying from the driveway. Poor baby! I got there, and as soon as Joan handed him to me his screams lowered to general fussy noises, and though he spit up all i fed him, he was smiling within a few minutes. Joan said that Cals persistant cries were hard on the other kids, and this may not be the best childcare fit. Ouch, needless to say, I left in tears for the second time that day. We went home, Cal took a short nap, and then off to Dr. James for his 4 month check up. Calvin is 14 pounds + 14.5 ounces, 24.5 inches long, and is measuring average for his age. The first shot went in almost painlessly, but the other two were not as easy. He took it like a champ though, good boy. Dr. James said we need to space out feedings even longer than we had previously to help him to accept the bottle. She suggested more like 8 hour spans until he feeds. When we came home we made an appt. to interview a nanny for tomorrow. We plan to have a tough day tomorrow, and continue introducing the bottle until he relents. We are getting a bit stressed, and are trying not to let our emotions win. Will let you know how it goes.

1 Comments:

At January 09, 2006 8:27 AM, Blogger Carissa said...

I'd fire any doc who told me to wait 8 hours to feed my baby.

Have you tried the tips for accepting a bottle on the Kellymom site?

Have you tried soft spout sippy cups instead of bottles? He's 4 mos, right? That's old enough that if he's still getting his sucking needs met at the breast, you could just skip the bottle all together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home